Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Kringle's Capsule Reviews presents Kringle's Choice: Best of this week's new releases

 

Kringle's Choice: Best of this week's new releases

Highly Recommended

Michael Bublé : Christmas

I thought this might only be my second or third favorite release of the week but it's the album I keep coming back to, a really solid effort that gets better with each listen. 

Listen on Spotify | Listen on MOG

Christmas at Amazon.com

*

Matt Wertz : Snowglobe

Just barely edged out by Bublé comes this fantastic holiday effort from Nashville based singer songwriter Matt Wertz. No Spotify or MOG links as of yet but trust me this is a great album. You can preview and buy Snowglobe at Amazon or iTunes but if you head over to Matt's site you can grab gift packs that include CD's, download gift cards and exclusive letterpress greeting cards.

Snow Globe at Amazon.com

*

A Very She & Him Christmas

I loved the idea of this album when it was announced. I loved the advance single "The Christmas Waltz". I loved it as it played in the background while I blogged. Then I loved it a little bit less the more I listened. It's actually a bit of a downer after awhile and not the adorkable romp you might expect.While it's not as amazing as I'd hoped it would be (a victim of my unrealistically high expectations I suppose) it's still destined to become a staple on the holiday hi-fi all season long.

Listen on Spotify | Listen on MOG

A Very She & Him Christmas at Amazon.com

*

Chanticleer : Our Favorite Carols

Seeing Chanticleer at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is the musical highlight of my holiday season each year so any seasonal offering from them is going straight into heavy rotation. So good...

Listen on Spotify 

Our Favorite Carols at Amazon.com

*

Tommy Emmanuel : All I Want For Christmas

Absolutly the best instrumental album I've heard so far this year...

Listen on Spotify | Listen on MOG

All I Want For Christmas at Amazon.com

*****

Recommended

Mannheim Steamroller : Christmas Symphony

The Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Express keeps on chugging with this fairly nice collaboration with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra. If your a MS hater this won't change your mind but fans will want to give it a listen.

Listen on Spotify 

Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Symphony at Amazon.com

*

Season's Greetings: A Jersey Boys Christmas

Pretty much as good as it gets in the Four Seasons cover band Christmas compilation album genre.

Listen on Spotify | Listen on MOG

Seasons Greetings: A Jersey Boys Christmas at Amazon.com

*****

Other releases of note

Deana Martin: White Christmas

Fairly unremarkable collection of holiday standards from Dino's daughter. I so wanted to like this. A duet with yule crooner extraordinaire Andy Williams fails to enliven the proceedings.

Listen on Spotify | Listen on MOG

*

Randi Fay :  Noel

Workmanlike collection of Christmas standards both classic and contemporary.

Listen on Spotify

*

Scott Weiland : The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I applaud Weiland for taking a risk and cutting a holiday themed platter but as I listened to The Most Wonderful Time of the Year I started to wonder if I'd gotten an album by the wrong Scott since Weilland seemed to be channeling Walker. Except a Scott Walker Christmas album would probably be a whole lot more interesting. And listenable. (Actually the arrangements aren't half bad, so there's that)

Listen on Spotify | Listen on MOG